The first few years of parenthood can often go in a blur of missed sleep and diaper explosions. Yes we love our little treasures, no questions asked, however if we are struggling where do we go? At Nurture Box we have compiled a handy list of helpful people, places, and organisations (New Zealand specific).
Your Parent Help List
- General Practice - Your local GP should be your first port of call for any non-emergency medical or developmental issues. Concerned that Timmy might not be hearing you properly? Unsure what that rash is? Head along to your GP. Same goes for feeling blue post baby - GP will be able to refer you to the right service.
- Depression helpline: Freephone 0800 111 757.
- Healthline: 0800 611 116 (available 24 hours, 7 days a week and free to callers throughout New Zealand, including from a mobile phone).
- Lifeline: 0800 543 35
- Plunket Line: 0800 933 922
- Poisons Line: 0800 764 766 (please call for an ambulance first if needed)
- La Leche for breastfeeding support: http://www.lalecheleague.org.nz/get-help
- For new dads or dad-to-be: http://www.greatfathers.org.nz/greatfathers
Do you have any other useful contacts for New Zealand organisations helping families?